Thursday 28 July 2011

Rohan Daft interview

Rohan Daft is a former staff feature writer and gossip columnist for the London Evening Standard and has contributed to numerous other publications. Also he wrote a book "Menu del Dia" about Spanish food. Now he is leading The Row - a blog of Richard James bespoke tailoring and menswear company.

Rohan, when did you start your career?
Well, I started my career in 80s writing for the gossip column. That's a common thing, a lot of journalists started in gossip columns. My first real job was in Evening Standard though.

Was it hard?
Yes, it was tough; the paper had three additions, so I had three deadlines, that actually means I had about two hours to produce a story.

Say, how did you collect the material for your stories?
I was drinking with my friends once a while and listening very carefully to things people were talking about, asking questions. Sometimes I paid for the stories as well. And you don't need to check information - it's a gossip!

Really? But some people can be offended reading these gossips, don't you think?
It's fine. If you work in the newspaper, it's a honor that someone punched you in the face!

How were you commissioned to lead the Richard James company blog.
They called me to write out of the blue.

What is RJ blog?
First of all, this blog is neither about me, nor my opinion, but about things, the company stands for. I have to be clear. The essence of the blog - fresh, it's got to be fresh! The point to do it of course advertising, you want it to be seen, so you lead the blog. Other ways are more expensive, more complicated and also take a lot of exclusivity away.

What about content?
It featuress pictures of the product, inspiring videos, information about recent updates of collections and items, theme stories and so on. I am really surprised when people ask how I come up with ideas for my blog every day. I think it's so natural. Sometimes people can't see stories in front of their eyes.

And finally, your book about Spanish food is pretty popular. How did you came up with this idea?
It was a commission. I worked feelance and stayed in Spain about 5 or 6 years and led the blog about Spanish food. I actually wanted to make a guidebook,  but it didn't happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment